Jeans are great. They look good on everyone, and they're appropriate for any casual outing. But a lot of people don't buy the right size jeans, and then they end up with denim that digs into their midsection or pant legs that are too loose. Jeans that are too big look sloppy; jeans that are too small hurt. Finding the right size and style for you can make all the difference in terms of comfort and confidence.
So, how are you supposed to know which jeans to buy? Should you just avoid denim altogether to make life simpler?
Absolutely not. Jeans give you endless style options, and they're durable, they're easy to wash, and if you buy the right size, they're pretty comfortable. Here's how to get an idea of whether a pair of jeans fit you or not.
If you're a dude, you know your jeans don't fit if:
- you need a belt to hold them up.
- you can easily see your leg and butt shape.
- you can't button them.
- you can't lift your leg or do a squat without worrying about ripping them.
- you can't pinch 1/2 to 1" of denim on your leg. Any more, and they're too loose. Any less, and they're too tight.
- the denim pulls at the knees when you walk or bend down.
- the waistline sits below the mid to upper hips.
If you're a lady, you know your jeans don't fit if:
- the denim bunches around your ankles.
- the denim is baggy or bunchy in the crotch area.
- the inseam on your backside isn't in the middle but off to one side or the other.
- you want to unbutton them every time you sit down.
- you don't have to unbutton them to take them off.
- wrinkles are facing inward or outward. (Inward means they're too tight, outward means they're too big.)
- you don't feel confident in them.
Keep in mind as you shop--whether you're a guy or a girl--that different styles are also built for different body types, and there's nothing wrong with you if a pair of jeans doesn't fit. The comfort and confidence that comes from a good pair of jeans can't be beaten, though, so don't give up on denim just because your current jeans are too big or too small. Put yourself out there!